June has been declared National Hunger Awareness Month. Unfortunately, this is a huge problem in our country: more than 37 million people in the U.S. struggle with hunger or food insecurity, including 11 million children. As our country begins to reopen and move forward from the novel coronavirus pandemic, many families find themselves seeking help to put food on their tables for the first time.
Here are some other astounding statistics about hunger in our nation and around the world:
- Children are more likely to face hunger than any other group in the country
- Households with children are more likely to face hunger or food insecurity than those without children
- Food insecurity is defined as the state of being without reliable access to nutritious, affordable food.14.3 million Americans are estimated to be food insecure
- Rural communities have higher rates of hunger than suburban or urban communities
- In 1980, there were about 2 dozen food banks in the U.S. Today, there are over 200
At Apex Moving & Storage, we have woven assisting our community into the fabric of our company. You’ll regularly see our trucks at food drives or employees working at a food bank. We were so proud to be named Move For Hunger’s Mover of the Year in 2019.
As you can see, we’re serious about eradicating hunger in our community and around the world. This National Hunger Awareness Month, we invite you to do the same.
How You Can Help
Hunger isn’t seasonal; there is a desperate need for donations to food pantries year-round. If, like us, you’re serious about eradicating hunger, here are ways you can help:
- Set up a monthly recurring donation to your local food bank.
- Clean out your cupboards and donate nonperishable food like canned goods, cereals, pasta and snacks to your local food bank.
- When you’re moving, ask the mover for a Move For Hunger box. You can place donated nonperishable goods in there, and the mover will take the box to the local food pantry.
- Volunteer at a food drive. Help setting up and passing out food is always needed!
If you come to the Apex office, you’ll likely see a food drive going on or advertisements for the next food distribution. We want to be a resource to our community to combat hunger.
We encourage you to join us as we continue to fight the battle against hunger and food insecurity!