2 Weeks Before You Move
Do you have power?
- Call ahead to have utilities connected at your new home.
What about packing?
- Make final packing decisions. Start packing items you don’t use often.
Remember the unseen places
- Clean and clear your home, including closets, basements and attics.
- Call your bank to find out how to transfer your bank accounts.
- Got any safety deposit boxes lying around?
- Each year people move without clearing out their safety deposit boxes. Make sure to clear out yours before moving.
Secret hiding spots
- If you’ve hidden any valuables or keys around the house, be sure to collect them before leaving.
A reminder about moving plants
- Some state laws prohibit moving house plants. Consider giving your plants to a friend or local charity.
- Plan meals that will use up the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Have your automobile serviced if you’re traveling by car.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to a drugstore in your new town.
- Dispose of flammable items such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, paint, ammunition and poisons such as weed killer.
- Drain all the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and power tools to ensure safe transportation. Refer to your owner’s manual for specific instructions.